St. Lucia Overview
The volcanic island of Saint Lucia is more mountainous than many other Caribbean islands, with the highest point being Mount Gimie, at 950 metres (3,120 feet) above sea level. Two other mountains, the Pitons, form the island’s most famous landmark. They are located between Soufriere and Choiseul on the western side of the island. Saint Lucia is also one of the few islands in the world that boasts a drive-in volcano.
Tourism is vital to Saint Lucia’s economy. Tourism tends to be more substantial during the dry season (January to April). Saint Lucia tends to be popular due to its tropical weather and scenery and its numerous beaches and resorts. Other tourist attractions include a drive-in volcano, Sulphur Springs (in Soufrière), the Botanical Gardens, the Majestic twin Peaks “The Pitons”, a world heritage site, the rain forests, and Pigeon Island National Park, which is home to Fort Rodney, an old British military base.
The majority of tourists visit Saint Lucia as part of a cruise. Most of their time tends to be spent in Castries, although Soufriere, Marigot Bay and Gros Islet are popular locations to visit.
Detailed Map of St. Lucia
The local climate is tropical, moderated by northeast trade winds, with a dry season from 1 December to 31 May, and a wet season from 1 June to 30 November.
Top Things to Do in St. Lucia, from a Cruise Ship - Created by BoostVacations.com Staff
Top Things to Do in St. Lucia, from a Cruise Ship - Feel free to add, vote or provide feedback to the list
The Pitons are two mountainous volcanic plugs located in Saint Lucia. The Gros Piton is 771 m, and the Petit Piton is 743 m high; they are linked by the Piton Mitan ridge.
Anse Mamin is a small black sand beach in Saint Lucia. It is located near Anse Chastanet and the two beaches are linked by a rocky path below the cliffs. Anse Mamin is a popular wedding site.
Pigeon Island is a 40-acre (160,000 m 2) islet located in Gros Islet in the northern region of Saint Lucia. Once isolated from the country in the Caribbean Sea, the island was artificially joined to the western coast of mainland in 1972 by a man-made causeway built from dirt excavated to form the Rodney Bay Marina.
The firm has developed a number of guided bike tours and all terrain tours that reflect the varying interest of visitors. Tour packages comprise of pickup from various hotels and cruise ships to the ATV site via taxi.
Anse Chastanet is a beach north of the Caribbean island town of Soufrière, Saint Lucia. Sheltered on the lee side of the Pitons mountains, the Anse Chastanet Marine reserve is known for excellent scuba diving and snorkeling. Beach facilities are managed by the private Anse Chastanet Resort, but public access is permitted.
St. Lucia Botanical Gardens, also known as the Diamond Botanical Gardens, is home of the Diamond Waterfall and the oldest botanical gardens on the island of St. Lucia. The botanical garden is located in the town of Soufrière, in the South-Western region of the island St. Lucia.
does not cite any references or sources . improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (March 2011)
The Church of the Assumption of Our Lady and Saint John the Baptist is a Gothic and Baroque Gothic church north-east of Kutná Hora in the Czech Republic and is listed in the UNESCO World Heritage List together with the Chapel of All Saints and its ossuary and other monuments in Kutná Hora.
Vincent Joseph Eudovic has been carving wood longer than anyone else on the island of St.Lucia and has established himself as St. Lucia's leading sculptor. He started sculpting at a very young age, competing in his first exhibition atthe tender age of twelve.
Sulphur Springs is the "world's only drive in volcano"; it is located in Saint Lucia towards the southwestern side of the island, near Soufrière (French for Sulfur). The creation of the sulfur springs, came from a weak spot in the crust of the enormous collapsed crater creating an upheaval of lava 410,000 years ago.
Gros Islet (English: Large Island) is a community located near the northern tip of the island country of Saint Lucia. Originally a quiet fishing village, it has gone on to become one of the more popular tourist destinations in the country.
Rodney Bay is a bay on Saint Lucia; it is along the northwestern coast of the island to the north of Choc Bay. It is named after British naval officer George Brydges Rodney. At Rodney Bay one can climb aboard the brig Unicorn, used in the film Pirates of the Caribbean and see the west side of the island by sea from her decks.
Vigie Beach is located 2 km north of Castries, Saint Lucia, running parallel and immediately adjacent to the George F. L. Charles Airport.
La Soufrière violently erupted in 1718, 1812, 1902, 1971, and 1979. The eruption of May 7, 1902, just hours before the eruption of Mount Pelée on Martinique, killed 1,680 people. The death zone, where almost all persons were killed, was close to entirely Carib.
Morne Fortune is a hill and residential area located south of Castries, Saint Lucia in the West Indies. Originally it was a fort constructed by the French, it was captured by the British on 24th May 1796. A memorial to the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers still stands commemorating the battle.
Pigeon Point Light Station or Pigeon Point Lighthouse is a lighthouse built in 1871 to guide ships on the Pacific coast of California. It is the tallest lighthouse (tied with Point Arena Light) on the West Coast of the United States. It is still an active Coast Guard aid to navigation.
Canaries (or Kanawe in Creole) is located on the West Coast of Saint Lucia. It is a small fishing village and it is nestled along the West Coast road, between Anse La Raye and Soufriere, and there are scenic views from both the Northern and Southern approaches.
Government House is the official residence of the Governor-General of Saint Lucia. The house is located on the crest of Morne Fortune, near Castries. The first Government House that was built on this site was destroyed by a hurricane in 1817, before its completion.
Trim's National Riding Academy promises horseback riding in a way you never have before. Make all your dreams and fantasies come true because riding with us is truly fun and adventurous.
The square was previously named Place d'Armes and Promenade Square. It was named Columbus Square in 1892. In 1993, it was named Derek Walcott Square after Nobel laureate Derek Walcott.